The two universities present a broad canvas upon which the Trust must make its mark. In total, over seventy departments operate in five academic faculties, each one of which combines teaching with research and relevant community development programmes.
- The SMU has a single Faculty of Health Sciences which comprises four schools: Health Care Sciences; Medicine; Oral Health Sciences; and Pathology and Pre-clinical Sciences.
- The UL has four faculties:
- The Faculty of Health Sciences, with a single school of the same name. (A new teaching hospital and full medical school is being developed under the auspices of UL, an institution already attuned to the health realities of Limpopo, South Africa’s most northerly and most rural province.)
- The Faculty of Science and Agriculture comprises the schools of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences; Mathematical and Computer Sciences; Molecular and Life Sciences; and Physical and Mineral Sciences.
- The Faculty of Humanities are the schools of Education; Languages and Communication Studies; and Social Sciences.
- The Faculty of Management and Law (UL) comprises the schools of Accountancy; Economics and Management; Law; and the Turfloop Graduate School of Leadership.